b. 17 December 1805, d. 2 January 1855
|Father||John McCall1 b. abt 1768, d. 17 May 1822|
|Mother||Martha Orr1 b. abt 1769, d. 27 Dec 1844|
|Birth||17 Dec 1805||William McCall was born on 17 Dec 1805 in Virginia.2,3|
|Land-Buy||8 Sep 1823||On 8 Sep 1823 William purchased 152 acres of land in Washington County, Virginia from William Walker and his wife Elizabeth for $1,600. The land was located on the north side of the Middle Fork of the Holston River and bounded by what is now called Byers Creek (then known as Little Holston Creek).4|
|Marriage||28 Jul 1825||He married Elizabeth Logan, daughter of Robert Logan and Rebecca Byars, on 28 Jul 1825.5|
|Land-Buy||26 Jun 1837||Fourteen years after his first land purchase William acquired an additional 32 acres from William Byars who owned a large tract of land in the area. This smaller parcel sat just to the north of William's 152 acre parcel.6|
|Land||When William's father died in 1822 his will specified that certain tracts of land were to be sold after the death of his wife Martha. Martha died in late December, 1844 and in January 1847 a tract of 19 acres on Bakers [now Hutton's] Creek was offered to the highest bidder. William purchased the land for $56 but immediately sold the same 19 acres to Arthur McCall [his brother] for $37.7,8|
|Cens-1850||24 Aug 1850||In the summer of 1850 William and Elizabeth were recorded on the first federal census to list all members of a household by name. William (45) was enumerated as a farmer. His land was valued at $2,500. Also recorded were: Elizabeth (40), John (21), Martha (19), Robert (14), William (11), Sarah (9) and Samuel (6).3|
|It is likely William and Elizabeth had an additional daughter born in the early 1830s. The 1850 census shows a 5 year gap between Martha and Robert. The 1840 census did not name members of the household but the presence of an additional female child born between 1830 and 1835 is indicated. If so this child appears to have died young.9|
|Land-Buy||28 May 1852||Two years after the census William added another 65+ acres to his holdings when he paid James and Eliza Orr $1,031 for a parcel of land that sat north east of his home tract.10|
|Land||6 Oct 1854||On 6 Oct 1854 the lands of Jane Reid deceased (which abutted William's land on the west) were sold as instructed in Jane's will. John E. Horne purchased the 218 acre parcel (later determined to be 212 acres) and then entered into an agreement with William to sell him 112 acres on the east side of the tract. The deed was not executed until Oct. 1856, following William's death.11|
|Will||26 Dec 1854||William wrote his will on 26 Dec 1854. The will provided for Elizabeth's needs in raising their children, 4 of whom were under age at the time. He also instructed that the lands he bought from Byars, Orr and Reid were to be sold but the old tract of land on which he lived was to be left for Elizabeth's use during her lifetime. At her death it was to be sold and the proceeds divided among William's children.12|
|Death||2 Jan 1855||William died on 2 Jan 1855 at age 49.2|
|Burial||He was buried at Old Glade Spring Cemetery in Washington County, Virginia.2|
|Court Record||25 Dec 1865||Following Elizabeth's death William's original tract of land was purchased by William and Robert McCall [his sons] for $4,101.50.13|
|Elizabeth Logan b. abt 1810|
|Last Edited||6 Oct 2013|
- [S858] John McCall (1822), Washington Co., VA Will Book 5: 53. The will was written 12 Feb. 1822 and proved in court on June 18, 1822; executors were sons John and Thomas. Thomas Edmiston, Wm. Dickson & Edward Hutton witnessed the will. The executors posted $10,000 bond with Edward Hutton, Wm. Dickson, James Speer & John Clark as their security.
- [S2] Catherine McConnell, High On A Windy Hill, p. 184. Stone reported to read: William McCall, 17 Dec. 1805-2 Jan. 1855, age 49y 16d.
- [S367] Wm McCall household, 1850 U.S. Census, Washington Co., VA, pop. sched., District 67, p. 88 (added script), dwelling 675, family 675, viewed online at Ancestry.com, Feb. 2007, image 88 of 289. Household includes: Wm McCall, 45, farmer, owns land valued at $2,500; Elizabeth 40; John 21; Martha 19; Robert 14; Wm 11; Sarah 9; Samuel 6; all b. VA.
- [S1947] Washington Co., Virginia Deed Book 8: 161. (Researched by Bob and Donna Jean Ford).
- [S4] D.E. Brown, Marriages of Washington Co., VA 1781-1853, p. 40. Record abstracted as: William McCall and Elizabeth Logan; 28 Jul 1825 by Alex. McEwen.
- [S1064] Washington Co., Virginia Deed Book 13: 12. (Researched by Bob and Donna Jean Ford).
- [S2164] Washington Co., Virginia Deed Book 20: 2. Wm McCall to Arthur McCall for $37; 19 acres on the waters of Baker Creek adj William Dixon. Deed dated 26 Jan. 1847 and recorded 4 Jun 1850.
- [S2164] Washington Co., Virginia Deed Book 20: 16. Arthur McCall, administrator de bonis non with will annexed of John McCall, dec'd to William McCall for $56; 19 acres on Bakers Creek. Deed dated 27 Jan. 1847 and recorded 28 June 1850.
- [S679] William McCall household, 1840 U.S. cens., Washington Co., Virginia, p. 230 (stamped on second page), viewed online at Ancestry.com, Feb. 2009, image 63 of 115. Household includes: 2 males under 10; 1 male 10-14; 1 male 30-39; 2 females 5-9; 1 female 10-14; 1 female 20-29.
- [S2229] Washington Co., Virginia Deed Book 21: 116. (Research of Bob and Donna Jean Ford).
- [S2181] Washington Co., Virginia Deed Book 23: 178. (Research of Bob and Donna Jean Ford).
- [S826] William McCall will (recorded 1855), Washington Co., Virginia Will Book 14: 291. The will was dated 26 Dec. 1854 and proved at court on 22 & 23 Jan. 1855. Son John McCall exec with E.A. Robinson, J.E. Horne and Arthur Hutton as witnesses.
- [S852] William McCall sale of land (1865), Washington Co., Virginia Will Book 16: 356. (Research of Bob and Donna Jean Ford).
- [S1879] Washington Co., Virginia, Deed Book 22: 348. The deed, dated 16 Jan. 1855, was recorded 14 May 1855. It recorded a sale whereby Wm S. Ryburn and Rebecca Jane his wife sold a tract to John McCall for $250. The deed referenced the will of Rebecca Jane Ryburn's father, William McCall, deceased.
- [S2] Catherine McConnell, High On A Windy Hill, p. 210. Mrs. Rebecca Jane Ryburn, w/o Col. Wm S. Ryburn, 31 Mar 1827-23 Apr 1886. Roger Ryburn, who located Rebecca's stone, reports that it also says, "erected by her husband" and "daughter of Wm. V. D. McCall."
- [S6] Thomas Colley, Washington Co. VA Marriages 1853-1880, p. 4. Harvey Doa_ Allen, 28, sgl, b. & resid WCV, res. Greene Co., TN, farmer, s/o James & Martha Allen AND Martha Orr McCall, 28, sgl, b. & resid WCV, d/o William & Elizabeth McCall; 23 Aug. 1859.
- [S28] Gerald H. Clark, Guardian Bonds Washington Co., VA, p. 56. John McCall named guardian of William B. McCall, orphan of William McCall, dec'd; bond: $1,000 with Robert L. McCall, surety.
- [S6] Thomas Colley, Washington Co. VA Marriages 1853-1880, p. 225. William Byars McCall, 22, sgl, b. & resid WCV, farmer, s/o William & Elizabeth McCall AND Sarah Jane Soloman, 23, sgl, b. WCV, d/o William J. & Martha Soloman; 6 Mar 1863.
- [S28] Gerald H. Clark, Guardian Bonds Washington Co., VA, p. 56. John McCall named guardian of Sarah C. McCall, orphan of William McCall, dec'd; bond: $1,000 with Robert L. McCall, surety.
- [S28] Gerald H. Clark, Guardian Bonds Washington Co., VA, p. 56. Robert L. McCall named guardian of Samuel McCall, orphan of William McCall, dec'd; bond: $1,000 with John McCall, surety.