George P. Clark1
b. 14 July 1875, d. 28 July 1955
|Birth||14 Jul 1875 ||George P. Clark was born on 14 Jul 1875 in Washington County, Virginia.3,1 |
|Cens-1900||7 Jun 1900 || George grew up on his parent's farm in the Holston District of Washington County. He was the 3rd born in a family of 10 children.4 |
|Migration|| || At some point following the 1900 census George left Virginia and migrated west to Oklahoma. It is possible his brothers Oliver (Robert) and William (David) also made the move. |
|Cens-1910||4 May 1910 || In May 1910 George was enumerated living on his own and farming in the Nabisco township of Texas County, Oklahoma.5 |
|Land-Patent||18 Jul 1912 ||On 18 Jul 1912 he received a homestead patent for 160 acres of land in Texas County, specifically the southeast quarter of section 26 in township 5 north of range 19 east. He received the land under the Homestead Act of 1862 which required that he had resided on the land for 5 years.6 |
|Legatee||5 Mar 1917 || George's father, who died in 1924, wrote his will in the spring of 1917. His instructions included a clause whereby George's brothers Ambler and Harry (who inherited the bulk of their father's land) were to pay George $100. |
|Milit-Reg||12 Sep 1918 ||George registered for the World War I draft on 12 Sep 1918 in Texas County. The form describes him as of medium height and build with brown eyes and brown hair. He stated that he was a 42 year old farmer. George's nearest relative was listed as Etta M. Clark, also of Texas County.3 |
|Cens-1920||2 Jan 1920 || George's sisters Mary and Etta (Henrietta) both appear to have made their home with him for a few years. In 1920 the household was enumerated in the Nabisco township of Texas County and recorded as: George P. Clark 41, Etta M. 34 and Mary 32.7 |
|Marriage||4 Jan 1924 ||He married Mary Richie on 4 Jan 1924.1 |
| || George was 48 and Mary was considerably younger. |
|Death||28 Jul 1955 ||George died on 28 Jul 1955 at age 80.8 |
|Burial|| ||He was buried at Liberal Cemetery in Liberal, Kansas.1 |
- [S1835] Carol Lockas, "James Peter Clark-Anna Eliza Blunt" family group sheet. James P. Clark and Ann Eliza Blunt were Carol's great grandparents.
- [S5] Elizabeth Kelly Allison, Early Southwest Virginia Families, p. 70-85.
- [S1620] "World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards 1917-1918", subscription database with images, Ancestry.com (http://www.Ancestry.com : Sept. 2007), Data for George P. Clark, Texas Co., OK (12 Sept. 1918).
- [S634] James P. Clark household, 1900 U.S. cens., Washington Co., Virginia, pop. sched., Holston district, ED 114, sheet 5A, dwelling 79, family 79, viewed online at Ancestry.com, Jul 2007, image 9 of 34. Household includes: James P. Clark, 66, b. Jul 1833, marr 27 yrs, farmer, owns farm, no mortgage; __ E., wife, 52, b. June 1848, marr 27 yrs, mother of 10 children, 9 living; Oliver C. [or G.], son, 26, b. June 1873, farm laborer; George P., son, 24, b. Jul 1875, farm laborer; Charles T., son, 23, b. Feb. 1877; Emma _, dau, 21, b. Dec. 1878; William D., 19, b. Aug. 1880; Harrie L., son, 17, b. Sept. 1882; Martha H., dau, 15, b. Oct. 1884; Mary, dau, 13, b. Oct. 1886; Ambler, son, 10, b. May 1890; all b. VA; all parents b. VA.
- [S1844] George P. Clark household, 1910 U.S. cens., Texas Co., Oklahoma, pop. sched., Nabisco township, ED 258, sheet 6A (p. 153 stamped), dwelling 126, family 127, viewed online at Ancestry.com, Sept. 2007, image 11 of 14. Household includes: George P. Clark, 32, sgl, b. VA, parents b. VA, farmer, owns farm.
- [S1683] United States Bureau of Land Management, "Patent Search", database, General Land Office Records (http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch : accessed Sept. 2007), entry for George P. Clark, Woodward office, #013582.
- [S1843] George P. Clark household, 1920 U.S. cens., Texas Co., Oklahoma, pop. sched., Nabisco township, ED 1A, sheet 97 stamped, dwelling 3, family 3, viewed online at Ancestry.com, Sept. 2007, image 1 of 13. Household includes: George P. Clark, 41, farmer; Etta M., sister 34; Mary 32, sister; all b. VA; all parents b. VA.
- [S1771] Carol Lockas, "Montgomery and Clark Family Group Sheets," e-mail to D. Powell, 17 Sept. 2007. Carol confirmed the date on George's headstone.
- [S1376] Image courtesy of Carol Lockas.