Ellen A. White1
b. 14 February 1824, d. 29 July 1886
|Birth||14 Feb 1824 ||Ellen A. White was born on 14 Feb 1824 in Virginia.1,4 |
|Marriage||28 Dec 1852 ||She married David Marcellus Stuart on 28 Dec 1852 in Washington County, Virginia.2,5 |
|Cens-Sum|| || Ellen and David lived in the Glade Spring District of Washington County. Several entries in the county vital records suggest they lived near the community of Cedarville [on a modern map this is indicated as south of Meadowview between I-81 and the Lee Highway, and west of Glenbrook Ave]. The couple farmed land which in 1860 was valued at over $10,000. They also owned personal property [most likely slaves] worth over $13,000. Following the Civil War their land lost a good deal of it's worth (or they sold a portion of it), as their real estate was valued at slightly over $1,000 in 1870.|
Ellen and David appear to have been the parents of at least 7 children, including an unnamed daughter born in the spring of 1855 who died 4 months later from dysentery. The county birth records also indicate the birth of a daughter Margaret in October, 1858. She does not appear with the family in 1860 suggesting she too died young. Of the couple's 5 other known children 4 lived into adulthood but do not appear to have married. They are buried with their parents in a cluster at Old Glade Springs Cemetery.6,7,8
|Death||29 Jul 1886 ||Ellen died on 29 Jul 1886 at age 62.1 |
|Burial|| ||She was buried at Old Glade Spring Cemetery in Washington County, Virginia.1 |
- [S2] Catherine McConnell, High On A Windy Hill, p. 188. Stone reported to read, Ellen White Stuart, w/o D.M. Stuart, 14 Feb. 1824-29 Jul 1886.
- [S5] Elizabeth Kelly Allison, Early Southwest Virginia Families, p. 102-6.
- [S28] Gerald H. Clark, Guardian Bonds Washington Co., VA, p. 26. Eleanor White named guardian of Richard, Eleanor and William White, orphans of Richard White, Jr., dec'd. Bond: $5,000 with sureties Absalon Beatie, Josiah N. Beatie and William Beatie, Jr.; 19 Apr. 1931.
- [S367] Ellen White household, 1850 U.S. Census, Washington Co., VA, pop. sched., Abingdon, dwelling 2122, family 2122, viewed online at Ancestry.com, March 2009, image 287 of 289. Household includes: Ellen White, 43, owns land val at $2,000; Richard, 24, laborer; Ellen, 22; Wm B., 20; all b. VA.
- [S4] D.E. Brown, Marriages of Washington Co., VA 1781-1853, p. 60.
- [S234] David M. Stuart household, 1860 U.S. cens, Washington Co., VA, pop. sched., Western District, p. 109 (original script), dwelling 785, family 760, viewed online at Ancestry.com, March 2009, image 111 of 361. Household includes: David M. Stewart, 38, farmer and trader, owns land val. at $10,450 and pers. prop of $13,500; Ellen, 36; Mary, 7; Ellen, 4; all b. VA.
- [S635] David _ Stuart household, 1870 U.S. cens, Washington Co., Virginia, pop. sched., Glade Spring township, p. after 76 stamped, dwelling 322, family 227, viewed online at Ancestry.com, March 2009, image 46 of 49. Household includes: David _ Stuart, 48, farmer, owns land: $1,300, pers prop: $1,000, b. TN; Ellen, 46; Mary, 16; Nora, 14; George, 10; Laura, 8; Blanche, 3; Richard White, 48, farmer; Nancy Elliot, 20, black, cook; all b. VA.
- [S163] Ellen White household, 1880 U.S. Cens., Washington Co., VA, pop. sched., Glade Spring district, ED 94, p. 33A (p. 69 stamped), dwelling 285, family 288. March 2009, image 33 of 54. Household includes: David M. Stuart, 58, farmer, b. TN; Ellen M., 45, wife; Mary, 26, dau; Laura, 17, dau; George, 19, son; Richard White, 58, bros-in-law, work on farm; Blanche Stuart, 13, dau; all others b. VA.
- [S3] Moore and Stephens, Washington Co., VA Birth and Death Records, p. 139. female Stuart born 10 Apr 1855 to David M. & Ellen Stuart at Cedarville.
- [S3] Moore and Stephens, Washington Co., VA Birth and Death Records, p. 140. Margaret Stuart born 25 Oct. 1858 to D.M. & Ellen A. Stuart.
- [S2205] Jack Hockett, compiler, "Washington County, Virginia and Smyth County Virginia Abstracted Death Records 1912-1915" (unpublished manuscript; microfilm records viewed at the Library of Virginia, Jan. 2009), Laura Jane Stuart entry (provides mother's maiden name).